“Cinnamon challenges” have been on the news recently (and all over YouTube) warning parents about the dangers this youthful game can present on their health. You might have laughed it off or thought, “Boy, glad my kid isn’t that stupid!”
But I’m here to tell you, the Governor of Illinois was caught on YouTube choking down cinnamon because he thought this “game” wasn’t that dangerous. People are not aware of the severe lasting effects of this challenge.
This popular challenge is when persons eat a large spoonful of ground cinnamon. The spice itself is not toxic, but the problem arises when the person ingesting the powdered spice starts to laugh, choke or cough and the particles go down their airways instead of their esophagus to their stomach. Cinnamon dust particles in the lungs are dangerous.
According to the New York Times, “A report published in the journal Pediatrics on Monday found that the stunt has led to a growing number of calls to poison control centers and visits to emergency rooms. Some teenagers have suffered collapsed lungs and ended up on ventilators.” Large quantities adhered to the lungs when inhaled, causes inflammation and scarring of the lungs resembling emphysema.
For the full New York Times report by Anahad O’Connor, click here: Consequences of the ‘Cinnamon Challenge’
Even if you think your child wouldn’t do something this ridiculous, just trust me and bring it up casually at dinner. See if they have heard of someone doing this challenge and check if they think it’s funny. NOW you will have your educating moment.
Good luck and let me know how your talk went. I’d love to hear back from you all, to hear how kids are responding to this around the country. ~ Stacey
This one is really extreme and she is choking. Her “friend” the cameraman laughs through the entire thing. Don’t let this be your child. THIS MIGHT BE DISTURBING FOR SOME VIEWERS